“Yeladim - Fair chance for children - The ward children’s council” operates as a lobby for recognition, by the national and
local authorities, of the children’s needs and realization of their rights.
The Lobby’s achievements
- Education fees – the council aced for the routine transfer of education fees to the schools at the homes.
- The council had been active in the prevention of hospitalization in psychiatric hospital of non-psychotic children
legislation process, due to lack of care homes. The welfare ministry pays, appropriately according to suitable tariffs to post hospitalization support homes.
- During 2002 the council acted to pass NIS 6 million designated to night protection of home children.
New legislative proposals
- During 2002 the council initiated corrective legislation to the “Youth Law care and supervision”. The proposal ensures the rights of children, whom it is necessary to remove from their homes because of severe danger, for proper arrangements, independent of quotas. At present, many of the children have to wait, for arrangements to be made, for long periods, due to the lack of quotas (budget). The proposal is a private one, led by Ran Cohen, MP.
- The council participates in the legislative process of “Children in danger rights bill to receive services 2000”
- The council assists the committee, on behalf of the Ministry of Justice, headed by Judge Saviona Roth-Levy in the area of children in extra home placements. The committee examines the implementation of the international covenant for children at risk rights.